On Tuesday morning, the University of Tennessee announced that it had hired Rick Barnes as its men’s basketball coach just two days after Barnes’ departure from Texas. Here’s a look at all the Rick Barnes news and commentary you may have missed over the past few days.
- A source tells the American-Statesman that Texas Athletic Director Steve Patterson is inclined to keep Barnes for another season but is pressuring the coach to make changes.
- A high-level source tells the Statesman that UT officials have decided to fire Barnes after 17 seasons.
- Staff writer Brian Davis lists seven potential candidates Texas may pursue to replace Barnes: Shaka, Shocker or someone else? Who replaces Rick Barnes?
- Photo gallery: Rick Barnes’ potential replacements
- Photo gallery: Rick Barnes through the years
- UT makes it official with an announcement that Patterson and Barnes have “mutually agreed” to part ways. The announcement is followed by an emotional press conference from Barnes; watch that press conference here.
- At his press conference, Barnes says there’s no way he could have fired any of his assistants just so he could remain head coach.
- Kirk Bohls: Texas will hire a better coach, but it will not hire a better person
- Cedric Golden: Barnes was a team guy until the end
- Brian Davis, Kirk Bohls and Cedric Golden discuss Barnes’ emotional farewell in this Longhorn Minute video.
- Photo gallery: Rick Barnes’ final press conference
- News reports indicate that Barnes is headed to Tennessee and that Texas is “in discussions” with Virginia Commonwealth coach Shaka Smart.
- Players and colleagues are quick to defend Barnes and praise his loyalty.
- Patterson releases an open letter to men’s basketball season ticket holders.
- Cedric Golden and Kirk Bohls take a stab at Barnes’ all-time dream team.
- We take a look back at Barnes’ records and NCAA tournament history in his 17 years with the Longhorns, as well as his Texas tenure by the numbers.
- Kirk Bohls: Texas’ next Barnes? Patterson needs a proven commodity
- Cedric Golden: What team will new UT coach inherit? All depends
- Tennessee announces it is hiring Barnes, calling him an “elite basketball coach in every respect.”
News on Bevo Beat is free and unlimited. Access to the rest of Hookem.com is included with an Austin American-Statesman subscription in addition to Statesman.com and the ePaper edition. Subscribe today at statesman.com/subscribe.