Over Thursday and Friday, the American-Statesman will unveil its initial Fabulous 55 of the state’s top football recruits in the class of 2017.
It’ll be broken into five parts — 55-41, 40-31, 30-21, 20-11 and 10-1 — and will conclude with a feature story on the state’s top player on Friday, an interactive online map, an online photo gallery of the players and the entire list in print on Saturday.
Here’s part two with players ranked Nos 40-31.
40. Deiontae Watts, DT, Plano East (6A), 6-3/302, Undecided — disruptive big man is deceptively athletic.
39. Laviska Shenault, WR, DeSoto (6A), 6-1/195, Undecided — linebacker trapped in a receiver’s body. Shenault is always looking for a physical confrontation and frequently lines up on the line at tight end.
38. Robert Barnes, S, Southlake Carroll (6A), 6-3/194, Committed to Oklahoma — look out Big 12 receivers; Barnes may just be the hardest hitter on this list.
37. Kedrick James, TE, Waco La Vega (4A), 6-4/245, Committed to Baylor — better blocker than he is a pass-catcher, and he’s an excellent pass-catcher.
36. Damion Miller, WR, Tyler John Tyler (5A), 6-1/193, Committed to Texas — speedster will keep running until he gets open.
35. Taquon Graham, DE, Temple (5A), 6-3/251, Undecided — does not possess elite speed, but makes up for it by using using his hands to avoid blocks.
34. Earnest Brown, DE, Denton Ryan (6A), 6-5/233, Committed to Northwestern — ferocious pass-rusher, who played on the inside at Denton Ryan. His commitment to Northwestern was curious as Brown holds offers from all of the big instate schools.
33. Kary Vincent, CB, Port Arthur Memorial (6A), 5-11/170, Undecided — on the small side and just a so-so tackler, but Vincent’s one of the two or three fastest guys on the list. Some coaches might prefer that he play slot receiver.
32. Jalen Reagor, WR, Waxahachie (5A), 5-11/182, Committed to Oklahoma — a home run threat with uncanny awareness for where defenders are approaching. If he was bigger, he might be a top 10 choice.
31. Levi Jones, OLB, Westlake (6A), 6-3/215, Undecided — fierce pass-rusher whose gangly frame is screaming for another 30 pounds. Could eventually bulk up and play with his hand on the ground.
To read part one of our Fab 55, Nos. 55-41, click here.
News on Bevo Beat is free and unlimited. Access to the rest of Hookem.com is included with an Austin American-Statesman subscription in addition to Statesman.com and the ePaper edition. Subscribe today at statesman.com/subscribe.