Seahawks' safety Earl Thomas ended speculation on his retirement by tweeting "I'll def be back next year." CREDIT: Otto Greule Jr./ Getty Images

BEVO BEAT Football

Ex-Longhorn Earl Thomas tweets he’s returning in 2017

Posted December 25th, 2016

Advertisement
Story highlights
  • The former All-American at Texas ended speculation on his retirement when he tweeted Saturday night that "I'll def be back next year."

Seattle Seahawks safety Earl Thomas is coming back for the 2017 season.

The former All-American at Texas ended speculation on his retirement when he tweeted Saturday night that “I’ll def be back next year.”

Thomas created a stir with his retirement talk after suffering a season-ending injury during Seattle’s 40-7 win over the Carolina Panthers on Dec. 4.  The 27-year-old tweeted “The game has been so good to me no regrets.. A lot is running through my mind including retirement thanks for all the prayers.”

Last week, during an interview on the Rich Eisen show on the NFL Network, Thomas said he was still considering retirement.

“Yeah I’m kind of enjoying just waking up in the mornings without the pressure,” Thomas said. “Peace is starting to return to me, bro, and I think that’s my ultimate goal in my life – I just want to have peace.

“But I can say I went back to the VMAC the other day, my competitive juices came right back. So I don’t know man. I’m kind of caught in between right now.”

Thomas is a five-time Pro Bowl selection in his seven seasons with the Seahawks. He has 23 career interceptions.

While at Texas, the Orange native was a Consensus All-American in 2009 along with earning first team All-Big 12 honors.

 

 

News on Bevo Beat is free and unlimited. Access to the rest of Hookem.com is included with an Austin American-Statesman subscription in addition to Statesman.com and the ePaper edition. Subscribe today at statesman.com/subscribe.

Comments