Over Thursday and Friday, the American-Statesman will unveil its initial Fabulous 55 of the state’s top football recruits in the class of 2017.
It’ll be broken into five parts — 55-41, 40-31, 30-21, 20-11 and 10-1 — and will conclude with a feature story on the state’s top player on Friday, an interactive online map, an online photo gallery of the players and the entire list in print on Saturday.
Here’s part four with players ranked Nos 20-11.
20. Edward Ingram, G, DeSoto (6A), 6-4/325, Undecided — hard to believe he’s so athletic at his size. Loves to pull and clear running lanes.
19. Shawn Robinson, QB, Desoto (6A), 6-1/213, Committed to TCU — could be another Trevone Boykin for the Horned Frogs, but first must become a more comfortable passer. In 2015, he totaled more yards on the ground than in the air. Recently transferred from Denton Guyer.
18. Toneil Carter, RB, Houston Langham Creek (6A), 5-10/197, Undecided — may lead the state in untouched runs. Once he’s gone, good luck catching him.
17. Grayson Reed, OT, Cypress Creek (6A), 6-5/295, Committed to Texas A&M — exceptionally long arms gives him the look of the next great Aggies offensive lineman.
16. Chevin Calloway, CB, Dallas Bishop Dunne (TAPPS), 5-10/180, Undecided — looks smaller than his listed height and weight, but plays bigger than it.
15. Walker Little, OT, Bellaire Episcopal (SPC), 6-8/305, Undecided — the only thing little about him is his name. A little difficult to evaluate because he’s so much bigger than his competition, but Nick Saban, Charlie Strong and Jimbo Fisher can’t all be wrong.
14. K’Lavon Chaisson, DE, Galena Park North Shore (6A), 6-4/211, Undecided — caused serious problems for Westlake in the state title game, chasing QB Sam Ehlinger all over the field and forcing a fumble to secure the win. Chaisson says he runs the 40-yard dash in 4.83 seconds, but he plays much faster.
13. Omar Manning, WR, Lancaster (5A), 6-3/203, Undecided — state’s top receiver is a long-strider who blows by coverage. He’s a bit of a talker, too.
12. Chris Robison, QB, Mesquite Horn (6A), 6-2/192, Committed to Oklahoma — has a cannon, but can escape the pocket when needed. Undervalued by some recruiting services.
11. Brock Wright, TE, Cy-Fair, (6A) 6-6/243, Committed to Notre Dame — tight ends typically shouldn’t be this high on a list of top players, but Wright isn’t a typical tight end.
News on Bevo Beat is free and unlimited. Access to the rest of Hookem.com is included with an Austin American-Statesman subscription in addition to Statesman.com and the ePaper edition. Subscribe today at statesman.com/subscribe.