With nothing left to watch in the present, Texas baseball fans can check out the team’s future this week.
Four Texas signees remain alive in the University Interscholastic League’s playoffs. With the various state tournaments scheduled for next week, those players and their high schools are currently competing in regional finals.
If these recruits all reach the state tournament, friends could soon become foes. Brett Baty’s Lake Travis Cavaliers and Austin Wallace’s Flower Mound Jaguars are both competing in the Class 6A playoffs while Robinson’s Peyton Powell and Argyle’s Brenden Dixon play for Class 4A schools. In an interesting twist, the Class 4A state tournament will be held next week at UFCU Disch-Falk Field.
Here is the schedule for the UT recruits who are competing in a regional final this week:
Lake Travis infielder Brett Baty (vs. Laredo Alexander)
- Game 1: Thursday at 7 p.m. at San Antonio’s North East ISD Sports Park
- Game 2: Saturday at 4 p.m. at San Antonio’s North East ISD Sports Park
- Game 3 (if necessary): Saturday at 6:30 p.m. at San Antonio’s North East ISD Sports Park
Argyle infielder Brenden Dixon (vs. Iowa Park)
- Game 1: Wednesday at 8 p.m. at Abilene Christian
Robinson catcher Peyton Powell (vs. Sweeny)
- Game 1: Wednesday at 5 p.m. at Sam Houston State
- Game 2: Wednesday at 7:30 p.m. at Sam Houston State
- Game 3 (if necessary): Friday at 12 p.m. at Sam Houston State
Flower Mound pitcher Austin Wallace (vs. Southlake Carroll)
- Game 1: Thursday at 7:30 p.m. at TCU
- Game 2: Friday at 7: 30 p.m. at Dallas Baptist
- Game 3 (if necessary): Saturday at 12 p.m. at Frisco’s Dr Pepper Ballpark
Baty may not ever end up in a Texas uniform since he is expected to be a high pick in next week’s MLB Draft. Dixon, though, was among the incoming recruits that UT head coach David Pierce expressed excitement about following UT’s season finale. Texas went 27-27 during the 2019 season.
News on Bevo Beat is free and unlimited. Access to the rest of Hookem.com is included with an Austin American-Statesman subscription in addition to Statesman.com and the ePaper edition. Subscribe today at statesman.com/subscribe.