Will Brandon Jones become a Jaguar? Will either Devin Duvernay or Collin Johnson become a Saint?
The NFL Draft is set to begin on April 23. Texas has had a player drafted in each of the last five drafts, and UT has a handful of hopefuls on the NFL’s radar this year.
Where will Texas’ prospects next play football? NFL analysts and pundits have been kept busy with the publishing of their predictions in the lead-up to the NFL Draft. Here is a rundown of where the Longhorns have landed in five recent mock drafts:
SAN DIEGO UNION TRIBUNE’S EDDIE BROWN (MARCH 25)
Brown published his predictions for the first four rounds this week. If these projections are accurate, Texas fans won’t need to tune in until the draft’s third day. Brown expects to see three Longhorns taken in the fourth round. In 2019, UT didn’t have a player drafted until the fifth round.
- DB Brandon Jones: Jacksonville (fourth round, 116th overall pick)
- WR Devin Duvernay: New Orleans (fourth round, 130th overall pick)
- WR Collin Johnson: Washington (fourth round, 142nd overall pick)
NFL.COM’S CHAD REUTER (MARCH 26)
Like Brown, Reuter also sees New Orleans taking a UT receiver with the 130th pick. Reuter, though, thinks the Saints will be eyeing Johnson instead of Duvernay. New Orleans signed Lil’Jordan Humphrey as an undrafted free agent in 2019, and Humphrey appeared in five games this past season. Less than two years ago, Texas started Humphrey, Johnson and Duvernay in the New Orleans-hosted Sugar Bowl.
- DB Brandon Jones: Cleveland (third round, 97th overall pick)
- WR Collin Johnson: New Orleans (fourth round, 130th overall pick)
FANTASY PROS’ KYLE YATES (MARCH 26)
Duvernay was the only Longhorn who ended up on Yates’ three-round big board. Detroit has picked 12 Longhorns since 1953. It last drafted someone from Texas in 2015.
- WR Devin Duvernay: Detroit (third round, 85th overall pick)
PRO FOOTBALL NETWORK’S NEAL DRISCOLL (MARCH 22)
Minnesota currently has two UT-raised defensive backs on its roster, but Driscoll recently matched a Longhorn receiver with the Vikings. Why? Guessed Driscoll: “The Vikings sent Stefon Diggs to the Buffalo Bills creating a major need at the wide receiver position. Devin Duvernay possesses world-class speed and should be able to develop into a reliable target for Kirk Cousins.”
- WR Devin Duvernay: Minnesota (third round, 89th overall pick)
- DB Brandon Jones: Atlanta (fourth round, 119th overall pick)
- WR Collin Johnson: Jacksonville (fourth round, 140th overall pick)
- OL Zach Shackelford: Dallas (seventh round, 232nd overall pick)
- DL Malcolm Roach: Cleveland (seventh round, 245th overall pick)
DRAFT WIRE’S LUKE EASTERLING (MARCH 11)
Easterling released three rounds worth of predictions this past weekend. Jones, who was sent to Dallas in the third round, was the only UT representative among those faux picks. Four Longhorns, though, were scooped up during Easterling’s most-recent swing at a seven-round mock draft.
- DB Brandon Jones: New York Giants (fourth round, 110th overall pick)
- WR Collin Johnson: New York Jets (fourth round, 120th overall pick)
- WR Devin Duvernay: Cincinnati Bengals (fifth round, 147th overall pick)
- DL Malcolm Roach: Houston Texans (fifth round, 171st overall pick)
News on Bevo Beat is free and unlimited. Access to the rest of Hookem.com is included with an Austin American-Statesman subscription in addition to Statesman.com and the ePaper edition. Subscribe today at statesman.com/subscribe.