For Texas City twins Armanti and D’Onta Foreman, sharing a locker room at the next level would be a dream come true. Unfortunately, as the duo enters its senior year, the opportunity to play together at an elite program has yet to appear.
Armanti is a no-brainer national recruit – top programs from the Atlantic to the Pacific would welcome the four-star receiver with open arms.
D’Onta hasn’t received that kind of attention. The running back/linebacker has a good list of offers – Illinois, Missouri, Kansas State and Utah among them – but he wants to play with Armanti. And Armanti wants to play at a perennial power like Texas or Oklahoma.
“A lot of schools are looking into me, but they don’t really know what they want me to play yet – linebacker or running back,” D’Onta said. “They’re still trying to evaluate.”
After the two were in Austin in early June for a UT recruiting camp, the dream of suiting up together in college may finally turn into a reality.
The Foremans left Austin with rumblings that D’Onta was cleared for an offer as long as the family was all on the same page.
Armanti and D'Onta Foreman still meeting with Texas coaching staff. We'll see if D'Onta gets his offer today.
— Max Olson (@max_olson) June 9, 2013
“It’s really better for my parents. It’s close – they can come up here and watch every game,“ D’Onta said.
Two weeks have passed since that productive visit to the 40 Acres, and things look to be inching closer to a decision … at least for D’Onta.\
— ESPN Texas (@ESPNTexas) June 21, 2013
You wouldn’t be able to get anybody in the UT camp to say it, but in order for the Longhorns to take on D’Onta in the suddenly crowded 2014 class they’ll need some kind of assurance Armanti will pledge as well. It may still happen, but it no longer looks like the slam dunk it was earlier this month.
The Foremans’ mother and grandmother took a trip to Austin recently to get more information before the twins make a decision. There haven’t been any publicly negative comments after that visit, but reports suggest D’Onta is ready to commit to UT while Armanti plans on weighing his numerous options.
It’s a precarious position for Texas. The Longhorns want both brothers, but they also don’t want to be put in a situation where D’Onta commits and Armanti ends up going elsewhere.
A decision by D’Onta is expected to be announced in the coming days. It will be very interesting to see how Texas handles the situation if in fact Armanti isn’t ready to end his recruitment, too.
News on Bevo Beat is free and unlimited. Access to the rest of Hookem.com is included with an Austin American-Statesman subscription in addition to Statesman.com and the ePaper edition. Subscribe today at statesman.com/subscribe.