Charlie Strong continues culture change, ‘bans’ four Texas players from Moncrief

Posted July 22nd, 2014


DALLAS — If any Texas players doubt that coach Charlie Strong means business, then here’s more proof: Strong has banned at least four players from team activities inside the Moncrief-Neuhaus Athletic Center this summer.

Strong was candid about discussing why players would be banned from Moncrief, but he would not say which players he was referring to. And a source told the American-Statesman that all players who have been banned previously are expected to be back with the team for August training camp.

“When you’re talking about guys being barred from Moncrief,” Strong told the American-Statesman, “it’s guys that…if you don’t do what you’re supposed to do and you’re constantly going to be a problem, then there’s going to be repercussions and something’s going to be done about it.”


When players are “banned,” Strong said they have special workouts with strength coach Pat Moorer. Players are also expected to maintain their grades and, if the coaches want, subject themselves to random drug tests and dorm checks.

“When they get banned, they have to work their way back,” Strong said. “Sometimes, if a guy’s been an issue since I’ve been here, he gets held a little longer than anybody else.”

Strong’s tough-love approach seems to have worked on running back Joe Bergeron. He was sent home during spring practice and “banned” from Moncrief. However, Strong constantly talked up Bergeron during the coach’s spring “Comin’ On Strong” bus tour and the senior will be with the team in August.

“You think about Bergeron,” Strong said. “You took spring ball away from him. Joe’s back; he’s done an unbelievable job.”

Strong monitoring investigation: The American-Statesman first reported in June that two UT football players were questioned by campus police after an alleged sexual assault happened in a campus dorm. Strong said he has spoken with the two players involved, and said “If they’re charged, then they’ll be suspended.”

The Statesman has not named the two players involved because they were simply being questioned as part of UTPD’s investigation. Spokeswomen for the campus police department have said the investigation is ongoing.

UT police records show that a sexual assault was reported at 3:43 a.m. on June 21.

“All three individuals involved knew each other, and the two suspects have been cooperating with the investigation,” UT police said initially in its daily report distributed campus wide.

Strong told the Statesman, “The university has rules and we have rules in our program. If you place yourself in that position, and there’s an investigation, we’ll wait for the investigation and make a decision.”

News on Bevo Beat is free and unlimited. Access to the rest of is included with an Austin American-Statesman subscription in addition to and the ePaper edition. Subscribe today at