The third of our own Kevin Lyttle’s weekly Big 12 power poll:
1. OKLAHOMA (2-0, 0-0): Last week, 1. Sooners own the top point differential (+77) among the nation’s top five teams and have rushed for 9 TDs. This week: Tennessee (2-0).
2. BAYLOR (2-0, 0-0): Last week, 2. The Bears, who’ve gored two patsies, obviously didn’t get the memo about toughter scheduling. These are Bulls, not Bills. This week: at Buffalo (1-1), Friday.
3. KANSAS STATE (2-0, 1-0): Last week, 3. Wildcats QB Jake Waters bailed out KSU with 138 yards rushing, but his reckless style could get him hurt. This week: Auburn (2-0).
4. OKLAHOMA STATE (1-1, 0-0): Last week, 5. Beep, beep, Roadrunners have proved they can play with the big boys. The Cowboys should be on upset alert. This week: UTSA (1-1).
5. WEST VIRGINIA (1-1, 0-0): Last week, 6. Clint Trickett, who’s thrown for 713 yards, is making an early surprise bid for Big 12 quarterback of the year. This week: at Maryland (2-0).
6. TCU (1-0, 0-0): Last week, 7. The Golden Gophers will provide a much better read on how much Frogs QB Trevone Boykin has improved. This week: Minnesota (2-0).
7. TEXAS (1-1, 0-0): Last week, 4. You saw that Cowboys-49ers horror show in Arlington? This could be the college version. This week: UCLA (2-0), AT&T Stadium.
8. TEXAS TECH (2-0, 0-0): Last week, 8. Contrasting styles collide on the South Plains, with Big 12 aerial finesse vs. SEC slam-bam brawn. This week: Arkansas (1-1).
9. IOWA STATE (0-2, 0-1): Last week, 10. The tough-luck Cyclones can get back on track by dumping the Hawkeyes … or really go south. This week: at Iowa (2-0).
10. KANSAS (1-0, 0-0): Last week, 9. Be still my beating heart, KU hoop fans — this is just a football game vs. the Blue Devils. This week: at Duke (2-0).
News on Bevo Beat is free and unlimited. Access to the rest of Hookem.com is included with an Austin American-Statesman subscription in addition to Statesman.com and the ePaper edition. Subscribe today at statesman.com/subscribe.