Good morning and welcome to Breakfast with Bevo, your morning stop for Texas Longhorns news and notes. Check us out every weekday morning for everything you need to know about Texas football, recruiting, basketball and more.
The first Saturday of the season has passed, and the Longhorns sit at 0-1. Tom Herman will hold his first post-loss press conference at Texas at noon on Monday. Come back to hookem.com for a recap of what he says and our analysis of week two’s opponent San Jose State.
Is Maryland a 1-game hiccup or who the Longhorns truly are?
Beat writer Brian Davis details what’s next for this week for the Longhorns. According to Davis, Herman looked shell-shocked. One game into his tenure, the new coach faces a serious reality check: Was this a one-game hiccup or simply an accurate reflection of what the Longhorns truly are?
The cake wasn’t baked
Columnist Kirk Bohls breaks down Saturday’s breakdown – 2017’s team (so far) has the same look and feel as the 2016 version. The Longhorns are still stuck in the mud.
All of our game coverage:
- Columnist Cedric Golden makes the case that quarterback Shane Buechele is a serviceable one, but needs more help around him if the Longhorns are to win.
- Holton Hill was one of the team’s brightest stars on Saturday with a pick-six and blocked field goal return for a touchdown.
- The same problems with 2016’s team were showcased in the Longhorns’ first game of the Tom Herman era.
- After redshirting last year, Reggie Hemphill-Mapps led the team in receptions and scored on a punt return in his debut.
- Danny Davis breaks down the 5 key plays in Texas’ loss to Maryland.
- What Tom Herman said at his post-game press conference.
- As fan frustration set in, some decided to launch items on to the field from the seats.
Replay the highlights
Even in a loss, there were some bright spots for the Longhorns. Watch the videos below:
- WATCH: Reggie Hemphill-Mapps returns punt 91 yards for Texas touchdown
- WATCH: Armanti Foreman scores Texas’ first offensive touchdown of 2017
- WATCH: Poona Ford blocks kick, Holton Hill returns for Texas touchdown
- WATCH: Texas CB Holton Hill opens 2017 with pick-six
- WATCH: Texas RB Kyle Porter levels Maryland defender with huge block
Texas helps hurricane victims
President Gregory L. Fenves said the school contract with Nike features an item dubbed “presidential incentives.” The shoe and apparel maker agreed to earmark $400,000 to help with financial aid for UT students affected by Harvey. Fenves rounded up another $100,000 through donations to the university.
The post What’s next for the Longhorns after first-week loss to Maryland? appeared first on HookEm.
News on Bevo Beat is free and unlimited. Access to the rest of Hookem.com is included with an Austin American-Statesman subscription in addition to Statesman.com and the ePaper edition. Subscribe today at statesman.com/subscribe.