Good morning and welcome to Breakfast with Bevo, your morning stop for Texas Longhorns news and notes. Check us out every weekday morning for everything you need to know about Texas football, recruiting, basketball and more.
It’s been 12 years since the Trojans and Longhorns squared off for the 2005 national championship in state of California. Texas and Southern California play again for the first since that title game, but stars Vince Young, Matt Leinart and Reggie Bush are long gone, and the game will be a match up of programs on different planes. As Austin American-Statesman’s Brian Davis points out – it’s been 50 years since the Longhorns matched up with USC on the Trojans’ home field. Longhorn athletic director Mike Perrin was a linebacker in that game that featured NFL Hall of Fame running back O.J. Simpson.
5 keys to the Longhorns blanking the Spartans
Texas steamrolled to a 56-0 victory over San Jose State, and the game was well out of hand at the beginning of the fourth quarter. Danny Davis takes a look at what plays during the game were key to the Longhorns win on Saturday.
Is there a quarterback competition at Texas now?
Columnist Kirk Bohls discusses the beginning of the Sam Ehlinger Era at Texas. But how long does it last? One game? Four years? Perhaps it’s just all hands on deck when it comes to whom will be taking snaps this season for the Longhorns.
Belief, conviction and fairy dust
Columnist Cedric Golden says it was evident that the coaching staff was out to make sure there was no carryover from Texas’ opening home loss. The Longhorns played with belief on Saturday, but can they turn that into conviction?
San Jose State recap
Our entire game coverage can be read through these stories:
- “That’s what it’s supposed to looks like” – Longhorns trounce Spartans 56-0 to even their season record to 1-1.
- Texas totals more than 400 yards rushing as Chris Warren III runs past, jumps over San Jose State defenders.
- Our staff takes a look why Texas was so dominating in its win with our latest Third and Longhorns installment.
- Defensive back Holton Hill added his third touchdown on the season, but what were the San Jose State coaches wearing on Saturday to help raise funds for the victims of Hurricane Harvey?
- Go deep into the play-by-play of Saturday’s game with our expanded box score.
- On Saturday morning, we asked four questions before the game – here are the answers to those.
Highlights of the game
WATCH: Texas CB Holton Hill returns interception 45 yards for TD.
WATCH: Texas RB Chris Warren III rumbles for 41-yard TD.
WATCH: Texas RB Chris Warren III hurdles San Jose State defender.
Find your favorite photo
We published more than 120 game action photos from Saturday’s win over the Spartans. Check out the entire gallery here.
A day at DKR
One veteran sports writer was let loose Saturday with one assignment: Write about one day in the life of Royal-Memorial Stadium.
The post Texas, USC once foes in 2005 national title game, now miles apart appeared first on HookEm.
News on Bevo Beat is free and unlimited. Access to the rest of Hookem.com is included with an Austin American-Statesman subscription in addition to Statesman.com and the ePaper edition. Subscribe today at statesman.com/subscribe.