Welcome to Big 12 DieHards’ Week 3 Special Teams Player of the Week. There were a number of exciting performances across the Big 12 from special teams players, but we picked one that stood apart.
Also check out our other Big 12 player of the week awards:
- Offensive player of the week Mason Rudolph
- Defensive player of the week DeShon Elliott
- Special teams player of the week Michael Barden
- Newcomer of the week Sam Ehlinger
Texas S DeShon Elliott
Result: 27-24 loss to No. 4 USC (2OT)
Late in the second quarter, Texas was down 7-0 to USC and couldn’t get much of anything going offensively. The offense accumulated just 85 total yards to that point. Five drives went seven yards or fewer. Texas’ defense was playing well, but needed a break.
Finally, starting strong safety DeShon Elliott made it happen. On the first play of a drive at USC’s 23-yard line, Elliott picked off star Trojans quarterback Sam Darnold and returned it for a touchdown. The pick-six tied the game at 7-7 with just seconds left to go in the half.
In the second half, USC possessed a 14-10 lead and was driving down the field. Darnold took a shot, but Elliott picked off that pass at midfield and returned it to the USC 25-yard line. Texas failed to convert into a touchdown, but it put the Trojans in bad field position when they got the ball back. The next Texas drive, Texas took it back in for a go-ahead touchdown.
In addition to the two picks, Elliott finished No. 3 on the team with 7 tackles. It was one of his best games as a Longhorn on the game’s biggest Week 3 stage.
- Baylor linebacker Clay Johnston played the best game of his young career in a 34-20 loss to Duke. He posted 13 tackles, 3.0 tackles for loss, a sack and 2 quarterback hurries on the road against a Power Five opponent.
- Oklahoma cornerback Parnell Motley had a pick-six early in the second quarter to officially put Tulane to sleep.
- TCU linebacker Travin Howard had a pick-six and 6 tackles against an upset-minded SMU team. The Horned Frogs won 56-36.
The post DieHards Big 12 Defensive Player of Week 3: DeShon Elliott disrupts USC appeared first on Hook ‘Em.
News on Bevo Beat is free and unlimited. Access to the rest of Hookem.com is included with an Austin American-Statesman subscription in addition to Statesman.com and the ePaper edition. Subscribe today at statesman.com/subscribe.