Welcome to Big 12 DieHards’ Week 3 Newcomer of the Week. There were a number of exciting performances across the Big 12 from newcomers, but we picked one that stood apart.
Also check out our other Big 12 player of the week awards:
- Offensive player of the week Mason Rudolph
- Defensive player of the week DeShon Elliott
- Special teams player of the week Michael Barden
- Newcomer of the week Sam Ehlinger
Texas QB Sam Ehlinger
Result: 27-24 loss to No. 4 USC (2OT)
Obviously, Sam Ehlinger’s first start against a Power Five team wasn’t perfect. He turned the ball over four times, including on one of the most critical plays of the game. Ehlinger also passed for just 97 yards to receivers that were not Collin Johnson. But for a freshman in his first big game, Ehlinger was sensational.
Although the numbers won’t necessarily show it, Ehlinger did an excellent job managing the game for Texas. He used both his arm and legs to create second- and third-chance opportunities for the Longhrons. The coaching staff put a lot of responsibility on his shoulders. For the most part, Ehlinger delivered.
Ehlinger almost became a Longhorn legend on the spot. After getting backed down to his own 2-yard line because of a penalty and bad pass, Ehlinger led the Longhorns 98 yards down the field for a go-ahead touchdown with 45 seconds left. He was responsible for 98 yards on that drive alone.
Of course, USC quarterback Sam Darnold led a field goal drive as the Trojans tied the game and sent it to overtime. Ehlinger’s mammoth effort ultimately fell short. Regardless, it was a start for the ages.
- Oklahoma freshman wide receiver CeeDee Lamb caught 4 passes for 131 yards and 2 touchdowns before getting ejected on a bogus targeting call during the Sooners’ 56-14 win over Tulane.
- West Virginia quarterback Will Grier 304 yards, 3 touchdowns and an interception on just 27 pass attempts in the Mountaineers’ 59-16 win over Delaware State. He has 300 yards and 3 touchdowns in all three games this season.
- Texas Tech linebacker Dakota Allen – of Last Chance U fame – posted 9 tackles, a sack and defended a pass during the Red Raiders’ 52-45 win over Arizona State.
The post DieHards Big 12 Newcomer of Week 3: Sam Ehlinger’s legend grows appeared first on Hook ‘Em.
News on Bevo Beat is free and unlimited. Access to the rest of Hookem.com is included with an Austin American-Statesman subscription in addition to Statesman.com and the ePaper edition. Subscribe today at statesman.com/subscribe.