Welcome to Big 12 DieHards’ Week 5 Defensive Player of the Week. There were a number of exciting performances across the Big 12 from defensive players, but one stood apart.
Also check out our other Big 12 player of the week awards:
- Offensive player of the week Mason Rudolph
- Defensive player of the week Deshon Elliott
- Special teams player of the week Matthew McCrane
- Newcomer of the week Damarcus Fields
Texas safety Deshon Elliott
Result: 17-7 win over Iowa State
Really, this could be a team defensive award after the performance Texas put forth against Iowa State last week. With the offense struggling, Texas held Iowa State to just one touchdown. For context, the Cyclones had scored 40 or more in every other game this season.
However, the two most important defensive plays of the game came at the hands of a usual suspect – safety Deshon Elliott.
In the second quarter, Iowa State had just gotten out of its own red zone with a 25-yard pass. Two plays later, Elliott picked off Jacob Park at the Texas 40. The Longhorns leveraged it into a touchdown five plays later.
After a brutal drive in the third quarter, Texas punted and Iowa State started at their 37-yard line. Two plays in, Elliott picked off another pass and returned it 22 yards to the Iowa State 38-yard line. Texas’ offense mustered just six yards, but the return set up a 49-yard field goal by Josh Rowland, one of just three scores by Texas all game.
In addition to the picks, Elliott also had a sack, a pass breakup, and finished No. 2 on the team with 6 tackles. Only cornerback Holton Hill had more. Over the past two games, Elliott has a combined 13 tackles, 2.0 tackles for loss, 4 interceptions, and 3 pass breakups.
Texas held its opponents to a combined 34 points. Expect Elliott to be under strong consideration for All-Big 12 and All-America status if he maintains this level of play.
- Texas Tech cornerback Damarcus Fields grabbed an interception and took it back 95 yards for a pick-six in a 41-34 loss to Oklahoma State.
- Iowa State’s Joel Lanning seems to be doing just fine after moving from quarterback to linebacker. He had 20 tackles against the Longhorns.
- Iowa State defensive end JaQuan Bailey had a heck of a game against Texas too. He finished with 2 sacks and a forced fumble against the Longhorns.
The post Big 12 Defensive Player of Week 5: Deshon Elliott shuts down Iowa State appeared first on Hook ‘Em.
News on Bevo Beat is free and unlimited. Access to the rest of Hookem.com is included with an Austin American-Statesman subscription in addition to Statesman.com and the ePaper edition. Subscribe today at statesman.com/subscribe.