Tom Herman’s weekly press conference has come and gone.
Here are the highlights:
1. Connor Williams won’t have surgery to fix his injured MCL after all. Herman said the All-American left tackle is choosing to go with a non-surgical treatment rather than surgery, and that the knee would be re-evaluated in two or three weeks.
2. Shane Buechele is still wearing his boot to help his sprained ankle. He went through practice on Sunday though Herman said he wasn’t placed in any situations where there was a defense. Herman said Buechele probably wouldn’t be 100 percent Saturday against Kansas State, “but a quarterback with an ankle problem probably doesn’t need to be 100 percent to be serviceable.”
3. The reason Jerrod Heard wasn’t used at quarterback against Iowa State was because he got stepped on during practice last week and required 19 stitches on his hand, Herman said. Heard ended up with two receptions for 17 yards.
4. The reason Sam Ehlinger wasn’t used at quarterback against Iowa State? Herman’s answer basically was that since Texas has only two scholarship quarterbacks, he’d rather not risk the backup being injured.
[anvplayer video=”4188712″ station=”998254″]
Of course, every snap that the backup isn’t playing is a snap where the starter could get hurt. Buechele was 19 of 26 for 171 yards and a touchdown. He was sacked twice and threw an interception. He also fumbled but the Longhorns recovered it. Buechele had 13 runs for 42 yards.
5. Expect to see more Toneil Carter. The freshman actually got the start last Thursday in Ames though he finished with only four carries (Chris Warren III had 16, Kyle Porter 17). But he showed some flash and he scored one of UT’s two touchdowns on a 22-yard pass from Buechele.
6. And, perhaps, maybe a little less of Collin Johnson. Buechele spread his 19 completions to 11 different pass-catchers against Iowa State. Johnson, the team’s leading receiver, had only two of those, for 27 yards. That was coming off a seven-catch, 191-yard game at USC – the fourth best single game in UT receiving history.
The Cyclones used a safety to help cover Johnson and it affected how Texas wanted to use him. “We’re running him on corner routes, we’re trying to find ways to get him,” Herman said. “But to say we’re gonna throw the ball deep against that coverage is impossible.”
Herman said he expects to see more teams try that coverage to neutralize Johnson, and that one of his projects this week is to figure out how to get him the ball.
Junior safety DeShon Elliott earned his second Big 12 defensive player of the week honors for his night in Texas’ 17-7 win at Iowa State: Six tackles, a sack and two interceptions. He’s the first Longhorn ever to win defensive player of the week kudos in back-to-back games.
Texas (2-2, 1-0) and Kansas State (3-1, 1-0) kick off at 6:05 p.m. Saturday. It’s on Fox Sports 1.
The post Tom Herman’s press conference: On Buechele’s boot, Ehlinger’s status and Williams’ knee appeared first on Hook ‘Em.
News on Bevo Beat is free and unlimited. Access to the rest of Hookem.com is included with an Austin American-Statesman subscription in addition to Statesman.com and the ePaper edition. Subscribe today at statesman.com/subscribe.