Welcome to Big 12 DieHards’ Week 6 Newcomer of the Week. There were a number of exciting performances across the Big 12 from newcomers, but one stood apart.
Also check out our other Big 12 player of the week awards:
- Offensive player of the week Kyle Kempt
- Defensive player of the week Justus Parker
- Special teams player of the week Adam Nunez
- Newcomer of the week Sam Ehlinger
Texas QB Sam Ehlinger
It’s probably about time we get used to seeing this special freshman on this list. After posting an incredible game in his first appearance against No. 4 USC, he had another mammoth performance against Kansas State.
Ehlinger threw an interception on the first play of the game. Texas promptly went down 10-0 against one of the most consistent teams in college football. But even though Texas had lost seven of nine against Kansas State, Ehlinger didn’t lose his head.
He led a 71-yard touchdown drive to cut the lead to 10-7. One drive later, he found Chris Warren for a 33-yard touchdown to cut it to 17-14. With fewer than two minutes until the half, Ehlinger engineered another touchdown drive in just seven plays to give the Longhorns a 21-17 lead.
Texas really should have won in regulation. Ehlinger led drives of 73 and 39 yards that both ended with missed field goals. But in overtime, Ehlinger set up two quick touchdown drives to give Texas the game.
He finished with 380 yards passing, 2 passing scores and 107 yards on the ground. Tom Herman is going to have a hard time benching him once Shane Buechele gets healthy.
- West Virginia quarterback Will Grier continued his blazing start to the 2017 season. Grier posted 366 yards, 3 touchdowns and 1 interception during the Mountaineers’ 31-24 loss to TCU on Saturday.
- Texas Tech linebacker Dakota Allen had another strong game in a 65-19 win over Kansas. Allen only had 4 tackles, but added an interception.
The post DieHards Big 12 Newcomer of Week 6: Sam Ehlinger stars in win appeared first on Hook ‘Em.
News on Bevo Beat is free and unlimited. Access to the rest of Hookem.com is included with an Austin American-Statesman subscription in addition to Statesman.com and the ePaper edition. Subscribe today at statesman.com/subscribe.