It’s halftime at Royal-Memorial Stadium, and Texas is leading Kansas 35-17.
The Longhorns are 33-point favorites today.
This one probably shouldn’t be this close — the Longhorns have forced three turnovers that have led to 21 points — but here the 1-8 Jayhawks are, hanging around.
What’s happened so far
1. Shane Buechele has quarterbacked all but one series tonight. He’s 8 of 12 for 111 yards and a touchdown. Sam Ehlinger entered the game in the first quarter and converted excellent field position into a touchdown throw.
2. High points for the Horns? There are Longhorns who are making plays. Antwuan Davis has a pick-six. And another interception in the end zone that snuffed out a Kansas scoring threat. Kris Boyd has a big kickoff return and an onside kick recovery. Buechele needed only 9 seconds to put Texas into the end zone, a 49-yard strike to Lorenzo Joe on the very first snap of the game. And there have been three big hits delivered by Jason Hall, DeShon Elliott and Malik Jefferson.
The low points? Tristan Nickelson was flagged for holding. Jason Hall had a horse collar. Kris Burt fumbled a kickoff. And Mitchell Becker missed a field goal.
3. It’s been an up-and-down day for Boyd. He was flagged for pass interference on a third down, putting the Jayhawks into scoring range; they ended up scoring a touchdown. Then he returned a kickoff 35 yards. Then he fumbled a kickoff return that set KU up at the 24. The Jayhawks got a field goal out of it. But Davis has been big with his two important picks.
4. Texas has had 10 drives. Here’s how they’ve played out:
First quarter (5) — Touchdown, punt, touchdown, touchdown, touchdown
Second quarter (4) — Missed field goal, punt, touchdown, end of half
5. Who’s looked good so far?
DeShon Elliott: 4 tackles, 1 pass breakup, 1 forced fumble
Jason Hall: 1 interception, 1 pass breakup, 1 hurry
Antwuan Davis: 2 interceptions (1 pick-six)
Daniel Young: 11 carries for 57 yards
Michael Dickson: 2 punts, 47.0 average, 1 downed at the 1-yard line, the other for 52 yards
Texas: Lorenzo Joe 49-yard pass from Shane Buechele (Mitchell Becker kick, 14:51)
Texas: Antwuan Davis 16-yard interception return (Becker kick, 8:05)
Kansas: Steven Sims Jr. 5-yard pass from Stanley Carter (Gabriel Rui kick, 527)
Texas: Toneil Carter 23-yard run (Becker kick, 3:42)
Texas: Cade Brewer 8-yard pass from Sam Ehlinger (Becker kick, 1:55)
Kansas: Earl Bostick 8-yard pass from Stanley (Rui kick, 13:11)
Kansas: Rui 36-yard field goal (12:12)
Texas: Lil’Jordan Humphrey 1-yard run (Becker kick, 4:49)
The Jayhawks will get the ball to start the second half.
News on Bevo Beat is free and unlimited. Access to the rest of Hookem.com is included with an Austin American-Statesman subscription in addition to Statesman.com and the ePaper edition. Subscribe today at statesman.com/subscribe.