Welcome to Big 12 DieHards’ Week 11 Defensive Player of the Week. There were a number of exciting performances across the Big 12 from defensive players, but one stood apart.
Also check out our other Big 12 player of the week awards:
- Offensive player of the week Rodney Anderson
- Defensive player of the week Antwuan Davis
- Special teams player of the week Keke Coutee
- Newcomer of the week Charlie Brewer
Texas DB Antwuan Davis
Texas’ secondary is in shambles after an unfortunate series of suspensions and injuries. However, that just meant a couple of experienced pieces finally got time on the field. Senior Antwuan Davis took full advantage of his opportunity.
The Longhorns were generally unimpressive on Saturday against Kansas, giving up 27 points and 364 yards to a bad team. However, Davis’ performance ensured things never really got competitive.
Texas punter Michael Dickson downed a punt at the 1-yard line after UT’s second drive of the game. Three plays later, Kansas faced 3rd-and-9 from the 2-yard line. Carter Stanley threw a pass, and Davis jumped in at the 16-yard line and picked it off. He returned the pass for a touchdown to give the Longhorns a quick 14-0 lead.
Later in the half, Kansas was in the midst of a 12-play drive. The Jayhawks could cut it to 35-24 with a touchdown, and were within the 5-yard line. Then, Davis jumped another passing lane and caught another interception, which was ruled a touchback. That allowed Texas to go into the half up 35-17.
Davis had never recorded an interception at Texas. Posting two in a game is a nice way to start, even if it was against a ghastly Kansas team.
- Kansas State defensive back D.J. Reed posted 3 tackles and recovered both a fumble and interception in a 28-23 loss to West Virginia.
- Iowa State defensive back Kamari Cotton-Moya accumulated 9 tackles, 2 tackles for loss and a pass breakup in a 49-42 loss to Oklahoma State.
- Texas Tech defensive back Douglas Coleman was credited with a tackle for loss and forced fumble after recovering a fumble and returning it for a touchdown in a 38-24 win over Baylor.
The post DieHards Big 12 Defensive Player of Week 11: Antwuan Davis posts career game appeared first on Hook ‘Em.
News on Bevo Beat is free and unlimited. Access to the rest of Hookem.com is included with an Austin American-Statesman subscription in addition to Statesman.com and the ePaper edition. Subscribe today at statesman.com/subscribe.