We’re interviewing the beat writer of Texas’ opponent each week this season. This week, Michael Miller (@smokingmusket) of The Smoking Musket offers his insight on the West Virginia Mountaineers.
1. West Virginia is among three teams trailing Oklahoma by a game in the Big 12. Does WVU, TCU or Oklahoma State have the better shot at the Big 12 title game?
I’d like to say West Virginia has the best shot, but we need a lot of things to fall our way to make it happen. Even if we get past Texas on Saturday, we still have Oklahoma standing in our way to even have a remote chance. Realistically, Oklahoma State is in the driver’s seat for that No. 2 spot, especially if Kenny Hill is out for TCU, so I hope you’re ready for Bedlam Part II.
2. What has Will Grier brought to this West Virginia offense?
Grier really understands what Dana Holgorsen and Jake Spavital want with their offense and he’s very quick to go through his progressions and find a receiver. He’s able to make those intermediate throws over the middle that Skyler Howard wasn’t great at, which keeps the offense moving.
3. How much is David Sills V’s breakout season overshadowing fellow receivers Gary Jennings and Ka’raun White?
Sills’ NCAA-leading numbers are definitely overshadowing what Jennings and especially White are doing this season. White has really stepped his game up over the last four or five games and is starting to look like a legitimate NFL prospect. All three receivers are knocking on the door to 1,000 yards and should be able to surpass that milestone, which is no small feat.
4. After ranking 35th last year in scoring defense (24.0 ppg), the Mountaineers are currently tied for 81st (29.2 ppg). Has there been a regression on that side of the ball?
There has been some regression, due to the fact that we are breaking in a lot of new guys, but I think by the end of the season we will see that the number will have trended back toward last season’s. Tony Gibson’s defense has really started to gel over the last few games and we are getting production from the young guys that we didn’t get early in the season.
5. Name one West Virginia player that Texas fans aren’t talking about — but should be.
I feel like everyone knows everyone of importance on the offense, so I’ll go with someone that has really come on strong on the defense lately. True freshman defensive back Kenny Robinson has been really impressive and has come away with what could be called game-saving interceptions in each of the last two games.
6. For those Texas fans making the trip to Morgantown, do you have any restaurant recommendations?
It’s a noon kickoff and you’re gonna need breakfast, so you’ll have to hit up Tudor’s Biscuit World before you head to the stadium. As far as dinner, if you want burgers/wings you need to check out Mario’s Fish Bowl. If you’re looking for some finer dining, Oliverio’s is the move.
The post Texas vs. West Virginia: Q&A with a Mountaineers beat writer appeared first on Hook ‘Em.
News on Bevo Beat is free and unlimited. Access to the rest of Hookem.com is included with an Austin American-Statesman subscription in addition to Statesman.com and the ePaper edition. Subscribe today at statesman.com/subscribe.