Over Thursday and Friday, the American-Statesman will unveil its initial Fabulous 55 of the state’s top football recruits in the class of 2017.
It’ll be broken into five parts — 55-41, 40-31, 30-21, 20-11 and 10-1 — and will conclude with a feature story on the state’s top player on Friday, an interactive online map, an online photo gallery of the players and the entire list in print on Saturday.
Here’s part one with players ranked Nos 55-41.
55. Jaylon Jackson, WR, Cedar Hill (6A), 5-10/164, Committed to Colorado — shifty slot receiver who is overshadowed by a sea of taller 2017 pass-catchers.
54. Brenden Jaimes, OT, Lake Travis (6A), 6-5/250 Undecided — always looks to end a play on the ground. Give him a couple of years and he’ll fill out into a legitimate Division I tackle.
53. Alan Ali, OT, Keller Timber Creek (6A), 6-5/270 Committed to SMU — skilled run-blocker who can get to a defense’s second-level in a hurry.
52. Major Tennison, TE, Bullard (4A), 6-6/245, Committed to Texas — undersized defensive backs have little chance of shedding Tennison’s blocking. He’s also capable of stretching the middle of the field in the vertical passing game.
51. Corey Bethley, DT, Katy (6A), 6-1/270, Undecided — a bit undersized or otherwise he’d be much higher on this list. Excellent motor.
50. RJ Sneed, WR, Cypress Ranch (6A), 6-2/178, Committed to TCU — fearless punt returner who could use some refinement as a route-runner.
49. Will Farrar, G, Fort Bend Travis (6A), 6-5/290 Undecided — plays tackle for his high school team, but his wide-frame is better suited for the interior. Has offers from Texas, LSU and Michigan State.
48. Stephan Zabie, OT, Westlake (6A) 6-5/290, Undecided — a little raw, but just this month Florida, Oklahoma and Baylor have extended offers to make him their project
47. Saiid Adebo, ATH, Mansfield (6A), 6-0/180, Undecided — tough call as to whether he’s wired better for receiver or as a ball-hawking cornerback.
46. Kennedy Brooks, RB, Mansfield (6A), 6-0/197, Undecided — his speed looks to be just OK, but that might be deceiving because no one can catch him in the open field.
45. Camron Buckley, WR, Cedar Hill (6A), 6-1/186, Undecided — downfield threat can also get tough yards across the middle.
44. Montrell Estell, WR, Hooks (3A), 6-2/180, Undecided — dominates small-school opponents; probably more talented as a defensive back and returned three of his six interceptions in 2015 for a touchdown.
43. Avery Davis, QB, Cedar Hill (6A), 5-11/192, Committed to Notre Dame — dual-threat QB deserves more credit for his arm.
42. Kobe Boyce, CB, Lake Dallas (5A), 6-0/163, Committed to Texas — unknown until he picked up offers from Texas A&M and Texas on consecutive days this month. His coverage skills are unrefined, but he’s got a high ceiling.
41. Myles Jones, CB, Magnolia West (5A), 6-4/175, Committed to Texas A&M — huge corner who runs well. May eventually find his way to safety.
News on Bevo Beat is free and unlimited. Access to the rest of Hookem.com is included with an Austin American-Statesman subscription in addition to Statesman.com and the ePaper edition. Subscribe today at statesman.com/subscribe.