- Texas WR Marcus Johnson, who was injured in the season opener against Notre Dame, went streaking down the field for a 47-yard reception on UT’s second drive.
- Kicker Nick Rose, who missed a critical extra point attempt last week against California, drilled two field goals (41 and 46 yards) in the first half.
- Kris Boyd made his first impact on special teams and continues to do so. He slammed OSU’s Jalen McCleskey down at the Cowboys’ 2-yard line on punt coverage.
- Bryce Cottrell and Poona Ford both missed potential sacks on the same play as OSU’s Mason Rudolph stayed on his feet and threw a 17-yard touchdown pass.
- Four Texas offensive linemen were called for penalties in the first half. Patrick Vahe’s holding penalty wiped out D’Onta Foreman’s 15-yard touchdown run.
- The Horns have rarely showed any trick plays under Charlie Strong. Jerrod Heard found Marcus Johnson, who then threw deep to John Burt for a 53-yard score. But Johnson’s throw was ruled an illegal forward pass.
OFFENSIVE PLAY OF THE GAME
In a new short-yardage package, backup quarterback Tyrone Swoopes hustled around the left end 7 yards for a touchdown that gave Texas a 20-17 lead.
DEFENSIVE PLAY OF THE GAME
OSU quarterback Mason Rudolph went back and had the ball slip out of his hands. Texas’ Hassan Ridgeway scooped up the fumble and raced 33 yards for a touchdown.