Another early recruiting update changed the rankings of Texas’ 2021 class that currently consists of six in-state prospects. Five of those players are ranked on the initial Fabulous 55. The 247Sports composite rankings recently updated to award one of the six commitments a fifth star. Four of Texas’ commits rank within the top 150 prospects in the nation after the recent update.
The class ranks seventh in the nation and first in the Big 12. Tom Herman is hoping to sign his fourth straight top-10 class.
A closer look at Texas’ six pledges and their current, updated state and national rankings:
Ja’Tavion Sanders, athlete, Denton Ryan
FYI: 6-3/220; 5 stars; No. 1-ranked ATH
Fab 55: 3rd
Sanders is a two-way star with upside on both sides of the football. He starts at wide receiver and defensive end for Denton Ryan, a Class 5A Division I state finalist in 2019.
Sanders is most likely destined for defensive end. He earned first-team all-district honors at the position as a junior and was newcomer of the year in District 4-5A Division I as a sophomore. He’s the 21st-ranked prospect in the entire 2021 class, per the 247Sports composite.
Billy Bowman, athlete, Denton Ryan
FYI: 5-10/175; 4 stars; No. 2-ranked ATH
Fab 55: 6th
Bowman was moved to the sixth spot in the state on the 247 composite, again matching his ranking on the Fab 55. He’s another two-way starter for Denton Ryan, playing slot receiver and safety at an all-district level. He’s also a special teams ace as a returner.
Bowman is the second-ranked athlete in the country, trailing only Sanders. He’s ranked 37th overall in the nation. He earned all-district honors at wide receiver as a freshman and was first-team all-state as a defensive back as a sophomore. The best guess is that he winds up playing slot receiver in Austin.
Jalen Milroe, quarterback, Katy Tompkins
FYI: 6-1/194; 4 stars; No. 5-ranked dual-threat QB
Fab 55: 10th
Milroe is now the 79th-ranked overall prospect in the 2021 cycle, giving Texas three commitments inside the top 100. He’s the fifth-ranked dual-threat quarterback and 11th in the state, one spot off of his Fab 55 ranking.
Milroe is a winner, leading Tompkins to its first two playoff appearances in school history. He’s a pass-first quarterback, throwing for 2,689 yards to just 378 on the ground as a rusher. He’s accounted for 57 touchdowns in two years as a varsity starter.
Derrick Harris Jr., outside linebacker, New Caney
FYI: 6-2/215; 4 stars; No. 11-ranked OLB
Fab 55: 26th
Harris is another commitment who’s now ranked similarly by the 247Sports composite and the Fab 55. He’s 25th in the state on the composite ranking, one spot above his Fab 55 spot. He’s the 11th-ranked outside linebacker and the 148th-ranked overall prospect in the nation. Harris was named all-district as a junior and newcomer of the year as a sophomore in District 9-5A Division I.
Harris is a pass rusher who could grow into a defensive end in Texas’ new four-man scheme. He recorded more than 80 tackles the previous two seasons and has 8.5 sacks and 38.5 tackles for loss in his two-year varsity career.
Hayden Conner, offensive tackle, Katy Taylor
FYI: 6-5/217; 4 stars; No. 26-ranked OT
Fab 55: 31st
Conner is Texas’ lone offensive line commitment in an important cycle at the position due to the amount of sheer talent within the state. The top two players on the Fab 55 are offensive linemen, including UT target Tommy Brockermeyer.
Conner ranks higher on the Fab 55 than on the recent composite update, which ranks him 42nd in Texas and 273rd nationally. He’s a two-time all-district selection and a prospect who can play tackle or guard. He’s also among the smartest prospects in Texas, choosing the Longhorns in part because of the school’s aerospace engineering program.
Juan Davis, athlete, Everman
FYI: 6-4/217; 3 stars; No. 36-ranked ATH
Fab 55: Not ranked
Davis is the lowest-ranked UT commitment, but it isn’t for a lack of talent.
Everman isn’t a powerhouse in Dallas-Fort Worth and he’s yet to play one position long enough to get a solid scouting report. Davis earned first-team all-district honors as a sophomore after recording 41 catches for 499 yards and seven touchdowns. He moved to quarterback as a junior. Most view him as a future tight end in the mold of Malcolm Epps. He ranks 446th nationally and 60th in Texas, per the updated 247Sports composite.
RANK PLAYER POS. HIGH SCHOOL COLLEGE
1. Donovan Jackson OG Bellaire Episcopal (TAPPS) Ohio State
2. Tommy Brockermeyer OT Fort Worth All Saints Episcopal (TAPPS) Alabama
3. Ja'Tavion Sanders ATH Denton Ryan (5A) Texas
4. Landon Jackson DE Texarkana Pleasant Grove (3A) LSU
5. Bryce Foster OG Katy Taylor (6A) Uncommitted
6. Billy Bowman ATH Denton Ryan (5A) Texas
7. Savion Byrd OT Duncanville (6A) Uncommitted
8. Preston Stone QB Parish Episcopal (TAPPS) SMU
9. Shadrach Banks WR Galena Park North Shore (6A) Texas A&M
10. Jalen Milroe QB Katy Tompkins (6A) Texas
11. Marcus Burris DT Texarkana Pleasant Grove (3A) Uncommitted
12. LJ Johnson RB Cy-Fair (6A) Uncommitted
13. Cody Jackson WR Richmond Foster (5A) Oklahoma
14. Quaydarius Davis WR Dallas Skyline (6A) USC
15. Camar Wheaton RB Garland Lakeview Centennial (6A) Uncommitted
16. Latrell McCutchin CB Austin LBJ (4A) Oklahoma
17. JoJo Earle WR Aledo (5A) LSU
18. Ishmael Ibraheem CB Dallas Kimball (5A) Texas
19. Dematrius Davis QB Galena Park North Shore (6A) Auburn
20. Reuben Fatheree OT Richmond Foster (5A) Texas A&M
21. Dametrious Crownover TE Grandview (3A) Uncommitted
22. Sawyer Robertson QB Lubbock Coronado (5A) Mississippi State
23. Clayton Smith OLB Texas High (6A) Oklahoma
24. Theodore Knox WR The Woodlands (6A) Mississippi State
25. Jordon Thomas DE Port Arthur Memorial (5A) Texas
26. Derrick Harris Jr. OLB New Caney (5A) Texas
27. Kendall Blackshire ILB Duncanville (6A) Alabama
28. Ketron Jackson WR Royse City (5A) Uncommitted
29. Landyn Watson DE Hutto (5A) Uncommitted
30. Eli Stowers QB Denton Guyer (6A) Texas A&M
31. Hayden Conner OT Katy Taylor (6A) Texas
32. JD Coffey S Kennedale (4A) Texas
33. Brandon Campbell RB Lamar Consolidated (5A) USC
34. Cullen Montgomery OT Bellaire Episcopal (TAPPS) Oklahoma
35. Behren Morton QB Eastland (3A) Texas Tech
36. Hunter Washington CB Katy (6A) Florida State
37. KJ Liggins WR Denton Guyer (6A) Uncommitted
38. Shemar Turner DE DeSoto (6A) Uncommitted
39. Jaeden Roberts OG Galena Park North Shore (6A) Auburn
40. James Brockermeyer OC Fort Worth All Saints (TAPPS) Alabama
41. Cisco Catson S Weatherford (6A) Baylor
42. Bryson Green WR Allen (6A) Oklahoma State
43. Latrell Neville WR Fort Bend Hightower (6A) Nebraska
44. Kyron Drones QB Alvin Shadow Creek (6A) Baylor
45. Erick Cade OT Braswell (5A) Uncommitted
46. Deuce Harmon CB Denton Guyer (6A) Texas A&M
47. Terrence Cooks OLB Alvin Shadow Creek (6A) Uncommitted
48. Lake McRee TE Lake Travis (6A) USC
49. Cam'Ron Valdez RB Rockdale (4A) Uncommitted
50. Matthew Wykoff OT Magnolia (5A) Texas A&M
51. Jordan Jenkins RB Lindale (5A) Baylor
52. David Abiara DE Mansfield Legacy (5A) Notre Dame
53. E'maurion Banks DE Wichita Falls Rider (5A) Texas Tech
54. Shedeur Sanders QB Cedar Hill Trinity Christian (TAPPS) Florida Atlantic
55. Byron Murphy II DT DeSoto (6A) Baylor