The Next 25, our ranking of the top 25 prospects in Texas for the 2022 recruiting cycle, was released Monday. Southlake Carroll quarterback Quinn Ewers headlines the list as the No. 1 player and the only quarterback to make the cut.
The Next 25 consisted of eight defensive backs, more than any other position. We continue to break down the entire list of prospects with Nos. 15-11.
No. 15: Emeka Megwa, Fort Worth Nolan Catholic running back
FYI: 6-0, 200; four stars; No. 25-ranked RB
Top schools: LSU, Alabama, Ohio State, Texas (34 total offers)
— Emeka ⁶ (@Emeka_Megwa) December 16, 2019
Speed. Power. Balance. Agility. Megwa is a star on the private school level and began attracting college attention as a freshman at Nolan Catholic. He dominates his competition level and holds the most impressive offer list of any running back in Texas for the 2022 cycle. He reminds me of a young JK Dobbins with his frame, leg drive and ability to catch the ball out of the backfield. He’s a true three-down running back who might be the most complete prospect at his position in the class.
No. 14: Ernest Cooper IV, Arlington Martin defensive end
FYI: 6-4, 215; four stars; No. 6-ranked weak-side DE
Top schools: Ohio State, Texas, Oklahoma, Alabama (22)
Edge rushers with an ideal frame like Cooper’s are always in high demand in recruiting and in the NFL draft. Modern offenses rely on timing in the passing game, and there’s no better way to disrupt that than with a good pass rusher. Cooper is exactly that. He was the District 4-6A sophomore of the year in 2019 after posting 61 tackles, including 14 for loss and three sacks. He also forced four fumbles, returning one of those for a touchdown. His stock continues to rise with offers from Auburn, Oregon and Ohio State since the beginning of May.
No. 13: Jaydon Blue, Klein Cain running back
FYI: 5-9, 192; four stars; No. 7-ranked RB
Top schools: Texas, LSU, Georgia, Auburn, Alabama (22)
Blue is a compact, powerful runner who uses his lack of height to gain a leverage advantage. 247Sports considers him a national top-100 prospect and the seventh-best running back in the entire 2022 class. His offer list includes the best programs in the nation. He rushed for 1,612 yards and 16 touchdowns on 205 carries as a sophomore, adding 15 receptions for 108 yards. He’s a one-cut runner who gets his shoulder pads square and through the whole with good quickness. He ran a sub 11-second 100-meters on the track.
No. 12: Armani Winfield, Lewisville wide receiver
FYI: 6-2, 180; four stars; No. 13-ranked WR
Top schools: Oklahoma, Texas, LSU, Alabama (33)
— mani (@armani_winfield) April 14, 2020
The state is never short on wide receiver talent with the influx of 7-on-7 prominence and the move to spread offenses over the past two decades. Winfield is among the next group of elite playmakers to get recruited out of the Lone Star State. He’s a big target who understands how to use his body. He was the District 6-6A co-offensive newcomer of the year as a freshman and a first-team all-district receiver as a sophomore. He has caught 85 passess for 1,134 yards and 11 touchdowns in his two-year prep career.
No. 11: Austin Jordan, Denton Ryan cornerback
FYI: 5-11, 185; four stars; No. 12-ranked CB
Top schools: Texas, Oklahoma, Ohio State (19)
Denton Ryan produces high-end talent on a yearly basis and Jordan is the next football freak on recruiting radars. Outside linebacker Drew Sanders signed with Alabama in 2020. Ja’Tavion Sanders and Billy Bowman, two of the top-rated athletes in the 2021 class, are pledged to Texas. Jordan will face similar options on the recruiting trail with 19 early offers from major programs. He’s a strong, physical cornerback who also excels in the 100- and 200-meter sprints on the track team.
RANK PLAYER POSITION HIGH SCHOOL COLLEGE
1. Quinn Ewers QB Southlake Carroll (6A) Uncommitted
2. Denver Harris CB Galena Park North Shore (6A) Uncommitted
3. Devon Campbell OL Arlington Bowie (6A) Uncommitted
4. Omari Abor DE Duncanville (6A) Uncommitted
5. Malick Sylla DE Katy (6A) Uncommitted
6. Caleb Burton WR Del Valle (6A) Uncommitted
7. Jaylon Guilbeau CB Port Arthur Memorial (5A) Uncommitted
8. Kobie McKinzie OLB Lubbock Cooper (5A) Oklahoma
9. Bryan Allen S Aledo (5A) LSU
10. Bryce Anderson S Beaumont West Brook (6A) LSU
11. Austin Jordan CB Denton Ryan (5A) Uncommitted
12. Armani Winfield WR Lewisville (6A) Uncommitted
13. Jaydon Blue RB Klein Cain (6A) Uncommitted
14. Ernest Cooper IV DE Arlington Martin (6A) Uncommitted
15. Emeka Megwa RB Fort Worth Nolan Catholic (TAPPS) Uncommitted
16. Kam Dewberry OT Humble Atascocita (6A) Uncommitted
17. Jaylen Early OT Duncanville (6A) Uncommitted
18. Justin Medlock ILB Manvel (5A) Uncommitted
19. Donovan Green TE Dickinson (6A) Uncommitted
20. Tavorus Jones RB El Paso Burges (5A) Uncommitted
21. Evan Stewart WR Frisco Liberty (5A) Uncommitted
22. Jadarian Price RB Denison (5A) Uncommitted
23. Bobby Taylor CB Katy (6A) Uncommitted
24. Landon Hullaby S Mansfield Timberview (5A) Uncommitted
25. Chace Biddle S Garland (6A) Uncommitted