Our own Kevin Lyttle’s Big 12 power poll for men’s basketball — Sochi style:
1. KANSAS (18-6, 9-2): The Jayhawks have explosive quad jumps, but still need to work on triple axels and twizzles to grab a 10th straight gold. Next game: TCU, Saturday.
2. TEXAS (18-5, 7-3): To secure silver, UT needs a few more snowboarding tricks, maybe Japan air 720, McTwist and double nose grab. Next game: West Virginia, Saturday.
3. OKLAHOMA (18-6, 7-4): The bronze medal leaders look like a Norwegian biathlon team with a quick-trigger, race-and-shoot mentality. Next game: Texas Tech, Wednesday.
4. IOWA STATE (18-5, 6-5): Offering the artistry and athleticism of a Russian figure skater, but lacking the big, physical toughness of a hockey defenseman. Next game: Texas Tech, Saturday.
5. KANSAS STATE (17-7, 7-4): Young bobsled driver Marcus Foster smoothly navigating the Big 12’s dangerous curves, picking up second-half speed. Next game: at Baylor, Saturday.
6. WEST VIRGINIA (15-10, 7-5): Curler Juwan Staten is a good skip who can score the rock, but can his sweepers clear a path to the house? Next game: at Texas, Saturday.
7. OKLAHOMA STATE (16-7, 4-6): Marcus Smart swerves out of control, misses the gate as the Cowboys can’t negotiate the bumpy slalom course. Next game: at Oklahoma, Saturday.
8. TEXAS TECH (12-11, 4-6): Ski jumpers find their “V” with Telemark landing at home, but they’ve yet to conquer the large hill on the road. Next game: at Oklahoma, Wednesday.
9. BAYLOR (14-9, 2-8): Bummed Bears see their medal hopes vanish with a mystifying series of short-track speedskating crashes. Next game: at TCU, Wednesday.
10. TCU (9-13, 0-10): Remember skiing’s “Agony of Defeat” shot on Wide World of Sports? It’s on a continuous loop on the Frogs’ high-def TVs. Next game: Baylor, Wednesday.
News on Bevo Beat is free and unlimited. Access to the rest of Hookem.com is included with an Austin American-Statesman subscription in addition to Statesman.com and the ePaper edition. Subscribe today at statesman.com/subscribe.