Our own Kevin Lyttle’s weekly Big 12 power poll for men’s basketball:
1. KANSAS (22-7, 13-3): With their heavy lifting done, the champion Jayhawks will rest banged-up center Joel Embiid this week. Last week: 1st. Next game: Texas Tech, Wednesday.
2. OKLAHOMA (21-8, 10-6): It’s been an historic season for the high-octane Sooners, who swept rivals Texas and Oklahoma State for the first time ever. Last week: 2nd. Next game: West Virginia, Wednesday.
3. IOWA STATE (22-6, 10-6): Melvin Ejim is so explosive, the undersized forward had a double-double by halftime of the last game. Last week: 3rd. Next game: Oklahoma State, Saturday.
4. TEXAS (21-8, 10-6): It’s been a beautiful bounce-back season for the Longhorns, who have a favorable schedule to break this second-place logjam. Last week: 4th. Next game: TCU, Wednesday.
5. KANSAS STATE (20-10, 10-7): The surprising Wildcats are 32-2 in the Octagon of Doom under Bruce Weber, including 15 straight wins. Last week: 5th. Next game: Baylor, Saturday.
6. OKLAHOMA STATE (20-10, 8-9): That seven-game losing streak is ancient history — the Cowboys have won four straight by a combined 67 points. Last week: 7th. Next game: at Iowa State, Saturday.
7. BAYLOR (19-10, 7-9): The Bears’ roller-coaster ride has been a lot like OSU’s — up, down and back again (in the nick of time). Last week: 6th. Next game: at Kansas State, Saturday.
8. WEST VIRGINIA (16-13, 8-8): Juwan Staten is the first player in school history with 500 points, 150 rebounds and 150 assists in the same season. Last week: 8th. Next game: at Oklahoma, Wednesday.
9. TEXAS TECH (13-16, 5-11): After a lion-sized early run in February, the outgunned Raiders are tip-toeing into March like a lamb. Last week: 9th. Next game: at Kansas, Wednesday.
10. TCU (9-19, 0-16): The Frogs lead the nation in two categories — Injured players missing games (10) and players lost for a season (5). Last week: 10th. Next game: at Texas, Wednesday.
News on Bevo Beat is free and unlimited. Access to the rest of Hookem.com is included with an Austin American-Statesman subscription in addition to Statesman.com and the ePaper edition. Subscribe today at statesman.com/subscribe.