Three hours prior to kickoff Sunday, Texas officials finally passed out a depth chart. However, it doesn’t offer any real clues about quarterback as Tyrone Swoopes and Shane Buechele are listed as co-starters.
Here are some interesting tidbits:
- Both D’Onta Foreman and Chris Warren III are listed as co-starters at running back.
- Texas coach Charlie Strong felt his offensive line would be ready for the opener. Based on the depth chart, the starting five will be Connor Williams, Patrick Vahe, Zach Shackelford, Kent Perkins and Brandon Hodges. Tristan Nickelson is listed as Hodges’ backup at right tackle.
- For the Jerrod Heard fans, the quarterback-turned-inside receiver is listed behind Jake Oliver.
- Naashon Hughes, Poona Ford, Paul Boyette and Bryce Cottrell are listed as the starting defensive linemen. Breckyn Hager and Charles Omenihu are the backup defensive ends. Sophomore Chris Nelson and freshman Gerald Wilbon are listed as the backup defensive tackles.
- P.J. Locke apparently won the battle over Antwaun Davis at nickel back.
- Highly-touted freshman safety Brandon Jones is also not listed among the two-deep roster. Dylan Haines and Jason Hall are listed as the starters. DeShon Elliott and Kevin Vaccaro are listed as backups.
- Kris Boyd is listed as the kick returner while Jacorey Warrick is listed as the punt returner.
Alas, the Texas depth chart, for those of you with terrific eyesight. Swoopes OR Buechele. pic.twitter.com/Ut1s2GFxdaAdvertisement
— Brian Davis (@BDavisAAS) September 4, 2016
News on Bevo Beat is free and unlimited. Access to the rest of Hookem.com is included with an Austin American-Statesman subscription in addition to Statesman.com and the ePaper edition. Subscribe today at statesman.com/subscribe.