While Texas was competing for Big 12 championships in Waco this weekend, a few future Longhorns were getting comfortable at their new home.
The University Interscholastic League’s annual track and meet served as a showcase for a handful of athletes who have signed with Texas. Six medals were won at Myers Stadium by five players who have signed with UT.
- Alvin senior Kynnedy Flannel: Class 6A 100-meter dash (gold); Class 6A 200-meter dash (gold)
- Edinburg IDEA Quest senior Valery Tobias: Class 3A 800-meter dash (gold)
- Amarillo senior Alex Loving: Class 5A long jump (gold)
- Tolar senior Warren Miller: Class 3A pole vault (silver)
- New Braunfels Canyon senior Olivia Buntin: Class 6A pole vault (bronze)
Texas signee Sean Prendeville finished fourth in Class 6A’s 800-meter race with a time of 1:53.99. Prendeville was running for Cedar Ridge High.
Yoakum senior Joshua Moore has signed with Texas’ football program, but he plans on joining the track team in 2019. Moore won the Class 3A long jump on Friday, and he earned a bronze medal on Yoakum’s 400-meter relay team. Yoakum also won a team title.
Texas-bound running back Keaontay Ingram picked up a bronze medal with Carthage’s 400-meter relay team on Saturday. Will Ingram show up alongside Moore on UT’s track and field roster? Probably not. Ingram told the American-Statesman’s Kirk Bohls that “I’ll be honest. I don’t like track.”
News on Bevo Beat is free and unlimited. Access to the rest of Hookem.com is included with an Austin American-Statesman subscription in addition to Statesman.com and the ePaper edition. Subscribe today at statesman.com/subscribe.