Last month, Texas had 18 players participate in workouts at its pro day.
Where will those ex-Longhorns next play football? That question won’t be answered until the NFL Draft, a three-day event that will kick off on April 25. NFL pundits, though, have been kept busy with the publishing of their predictions in the lead-up to the NFL Draft.
What is there to learn from these mock drafts? It appears that for a fourth straight year, no Longhorn will be taken in the first round. Defensive lineman Charles Omenihu and cornerback Kris Boyd also appear to be consensus picks for the seven-round draft.
Here is a rundown of where the Longhorns landed in four recent mock drafts:
THE ATHLETIC’S DANE BRUGLER (APRIL 8)
Brugler has four Longhorns going in his mock draft. Texas coach Tom Herman has said that Andrew Beck was overlooked by the NFL Combine, but Brugler doesn’t expect the same thing to happen in the draft.
- DL Charles Omenihu: Green Bay Packers (fourth round, 114th overall pick)
- CB Kris Boyd: Buffalo Bills (fifth round, 147th overall pick)
- OL Calvin Anderson: Tampa Bay Buccaneers (seventh round, 215th overall pick)
- TE Andrew Beck: Minnesota Vikings (seventh round, 247th overall pick)
DRAFT WIRE’S LUKE EASTERLING (APRIL 8)
Like Brugler, Easterling also has four Longhorns being drafted. Unlike Brugler, Easterling has the Minnesota Vikings drafting Lil’Jordan Humphrey instead of Beck with the 247th overall pick.
- DL Charles Omenihu: Dallas Cowboys (second round, 58th overall pick)
- CB Kris Boyd: Chicago Bears (fourth round, 126th overall pick)
- LB Gary Johnson: Los Angeles Rams (fourth round, 133rd overall pick
- WR Lil’Jordan Humphrey: Minnesota Vikings (seventh round, 247th overall pick)
DRAFTSITE.COM’S DJ BOYER (APRIL 7)
Of the draft experts, Boyer appears to be the highest on Humphrey. A receiver-needy Carolina team could be a fit for Humphrey, whose star shined in the fall but dimmed during pre-draft workouts.
- DL Charles Omenihu: Los Angeles Chargers (second round, 60th overall pick)
- WR Lil’Jordan Humphrey: Carolina Panthers (third round, 100th overall pick)
- CB Kris Boyd: Philadelphia Eagles (fourth round, 138th overall pick)
DRAFTTEK.COM (APRIL 3)
The Buffalo Bills last drafted a Longhorn in 2013 (Marquise Goodwin). DraftTek.com, though, sees the Bills adding two Longhorns to their depth chart this upcoming season.
- DL Charles Omenihu: Indianapolis Colts (second round, 34th overall pick)
- LB Gary Johnson: Buffalo Bills (fourth round, 131st overall pick)
- CB Kris Boyd: Buffalo Bills (sixth round, 181st overall pick)
- WR Lil’Jordan Humphrey: Detroit Lions (seventh round, 229th overall pick)
News on Bevo Beat is free and unlimited. Access to the rest of Hookem.com is included with an Austin American-Statesman subscription in addition to Statesman.com and the ePaper edition. Subscribe today at statesman.com/subscribe.