Once again, the NFL season has ended with a Longhorn in the winner’s circle.
Kansas City rallied to a 31-20 win over San Francisco in Super Bowl LIV on Sunday night. Like the previous three Super Bowl winners, Kansas City had a former Texas football player on its roster.
Alex Okafor, a Pflugerville native who played at Texas from 2009-12, was inactive for the season’s biggest game. Okafor registered 15 tackles and five sacks in his seventh NFL season but he suffered a season-ending pectoral injury against Denver in mid-December. Still, Okafor joins a club of 27 former Longhorns who have won 32 Super Bowls:
- DL John Elliot (Super Bowl III)
- DB Jim Hudson (Super Bowl III)
- TE Pete Lammons (Super Bowl III)
- WR George Sauer (Super Bowl III)
- DB Ricky Churchman (Super Bowl XVI)
- DL Bill Heathcock (Super Bowl XX)
- DL Steve McMichael (Super Bowl XX)
- K Raul Allegre (Super Bowl XXI)
- TE Terry Orr (Super Bowl XXII; Super Bowl XXVI)
- OL Terry Tausch (Super XXIV)
- OL Dan Neil (Super Bowl XXII; Super Bowl XXIII)
- DB Taje Allen (Super Bowl XXXIV)
- TE Derek Lewis (Super Bowl XXXIV)
- RB Priest Holmes (Super Bowl XXXV)
- DL Casey Hampton (Super Bowl XL; Super Bowl XLIII)
- DB Aaron Ross (Super Bowl XLII; Super Bowl XLVI)
- OL Tony Hills (Super Bowl XLIII)
- WR Limas Sweed (Super Bowl XLIII)
- TE David Thomas (Super Bowl XLIV)
- TE Jermichael Finley (Super Bowl XLV)
- K Justin Tucker (Super Bowl XLVII)
- DB Chykie Brown (Super Bowl XLVII)
- DB Earl Thomas (Super Bowl XLVIII)
- DL Malcom Brown (Super Bowl LI; Super Bowl LIII)
- LB Jordan Hicks (Super Bowl LII)
- WR Marcus Johnson (Super Bowl LII)
- DL Alex Okafor (Super Bowl LIV)
Texas would have claimed a Super Bowl champion regardless of the outcome in Miami. Former UT receiver Marquise Goodwin, who was also injured, is a 49er. San Francisco coach Kyle Shanahan was also looking to join Tom Landry as the only ex-Texas players to coach a Super Bowl winner.
News on Bevo Beat is free and unlimited. Access to the rest of Hookem.com is included with an Austin American-Statesman subscription in addition to Statesman.com and the ePaper edition. Subscribe today at statesman.com/subscribe.