Former Texas assistant Corby Meekins will return to Houston to coach the Cougars’ tight ends, the school announced on Monday.
A longtime high school coach, Meekins tutored tight ends and fullbacks for Tom Herman at Houston from 2015-16. Meekins followed Herman to Texas and worked with the Longhorns’ tight ends in 2017. The past two seasons, Meekins coached receivers alongside Drew Mehringer.
This past November, Meekins was removed from his on-field role as Herman shook up his coaching staff. It was announced at that time that Meekins would remain at Texas in an administrative role. All six of the assistants who recently lost their jobs at Texas have found a new coaching gig:
- Offensive Coordinator Tim Beck is now the offensive coordinator at North Carolina State.
- Defensive coordinator Todd Orlando is now the defensive coordinator at USC.
- Safeties coach Craig Naivar is now the safeties coach at USC.
- Receivers coach Drew Mehringer is now the receivers coach at co-offensive coordinator at Florida Atlantic.
- Cornerback coach Jason Washington is now the safeties coach at Mississippi State.
- Receivers coach Corby Meekins is now the tight ends coach at Houston.
Additionally, former UT tight ends coach Derek Warehime left the Longhorns to become New Mexico’s offensive coordinator. While talking about his former assistants last week, Herman said that “I’m really proud that all those guys have landed in some really good spots. they know how to coach. They did an excellent job for us while they were here.”
News on Bevo Beat is free and unlimited. Access to the rest of Hookem.com is included with an Austin American-Statesman subscription in addition to Statesman.com and the ePaper edition. Subscribe today at statesman.com/subscribe.