Tom Herman’s game week press conference in advance of Saturday’s Iowa State game has come and gone.
What you need to know
1. Starting right guard Junior Angilau is out with a MCL injury. He’s considered week-to-week but will definitely miss the game in Ames. He might be able to return next week for the Baylor game.
2. With Angilau out, Denzel Okafor will be at right tackle an Derek Kerstetter will be at right guard. Herman called the right side of the line “serviceable” after Angilau left. “It was plenty good enough to do what we wanted to do and what we did do,” he said.
3. Collin Johnson tweaked his hamstring on Texas’ final drive. “We’re going to aggressively treat him” this week, Herman said. The coach added that it was not in the same area of the hamstring that forced Johnson to miss games earlier this season.
4. Defensive back Chris Brown, who had surgery for a fractured arm, was cleared to play last Friday with a cast, but he hadn’t practiced all week and thus dressed but didn’t play against the Wildcats. But he should be back this week.
5. Linebacker Jeffrey McCulloch is “progressing.” Questionable.
6. DeMarvion Overshown has been cleared to play, but is still dealing with pain. Questionable.
7. Jordan Whittington also has been cleared. “We just gotta get him to run through some of the soreness and get him to maximum velocity.”
McCulloch, Overshown and Whittington “we expect to play if they progress,” Herman said.
- It was pointed out that in four of Texas’ six Big 12 games, the Horns haven’t scored a touchdown in the first quarter. Herman said he “hadn’t really thought about it” and that there hasn’t been a discussion about it — though he did then say that (a) Texas has won four of those games, (b) two of them were against TCU and Kansas State, which are “probably two of the, if not the best defenses in our conference.”But “it’s not something we’ve actively talked about,” he said.
- Herman pointed out that the Cyclones probably feel like their backs are up against the Big 12 wall as well. Fair point.
- Iowa State quarterback Brock Purdy ranks sixth nationally in average yards per game. Another week, another dangerous Big 12 quarterback. Charlie Brewer looms on the horizon.
- Devin Duvernay has 78 catches for 910 yards and 7 TDs. So he can go over the 1,000-yard mark on Saturday; his 78 catches rank No. 2 nationally.
- It’s going to be cold in Ames — it’s 19 degrees up there today and will be in the low 40s/high 30s on Saturday. “Temperature is way down the list in weather phenomenon” that you have to deal with in football. Twenty-mph wind? Yep, said. Sideways rain? That, too.
Saturday’s game in Ames kicks off at 2:30 p.m. It’ll be on FS1.
The last five Texas-Iowa State results:
2014: Texas 48, Iowa State 45 (Austin)
2015: Iowa State 24, Texas 0 (Ames)
2016: Texas 27, Iowa State 6 (Austin)
2017: Texas 17, Iowa State 7 (Ames)
2018: No. 13 Texas 24, No. 18 Iowa State 10 (Austin)
News on Bevo Beat is free and unlimited. Access to the rest of Hookem.com is included with an Austin American-Statesman subscription in addition to Statesman.com and the ePaper edition. Subscribe today at statesman.com/subscribe.