On Tuesday morning, the University of Tennessee announced that it had hired Rick Barnes as its men’s basketball coach just two days after Barnes’ departure from Texas. Here’s a look at all the Rick Barnes news and commentary you may have missed over the past few days.
- A source tells the American-Statesman that Texas Athletic Director Steve Patterson is inclined to keep Barnes for another season but is pressuring the coach to make changes.
- A high-level source tells the Statesman that UT officials have decided to fire Barnes after 17 seasons.
- Staff writer Brian Davis lists seven potential candidates Texas may pursue to replace Barnes: Shaka, Shocker or someone else? Who replaces Rick Barnes?
- Photo gallery: Rick Barnes’ potential replacements
- Photo gallery: Rick Barnes through the years
- UT makes it official with an announcement that Patterson and Barnes have “mutually agreed” to part ways. The announcement is followed by an emotional press conference from Barnes; watch that press conference here.
- At his press conference, Barnes says there’s no way he could have fired any of his assistants just so he could remain head coach.
- Kirk Bohls: Texas will hire a better coach, but it will not hire a better person
- Cedric Golden: Barnes was a team guy until the end
- Brian Davis, Kirk Bohls and Cedric Golden discuss Barnes’ emotional farewell in this Longhorn Minute video.
- Photo gallery: Rick Barnes’ final press conference
- News reports indicate that Barnes is headed to Tennessee and that Texas is “in discussions” with Virginia Commonwealth coach Shaka Smart.
- Players and colleagues are quick to defend Barnes and praise his loyalty.
- Patterson releases an open letter to men’s basketball season ticket holders.
- Cedric Golden and Kirk Bohls take a stab at Barnes’ all-time dream team.
- We take a look back at Barnes’ records and NCAA tournament history in his 17 years with the Longhorns, as well as his Texas tenure by the numbers.
- Kirk Bohls: Texas’ next Barnes? Patterson needs a proven commodity
- Cedric Golden: What team will new UT coach inherit? All depends
- Tennessee announces it is hiring Barnes, calling him an “elite basketball coach in every respect.”