In this week’s Golden’s Nuggets, Ced touches on a couple Bevo-related items: Here is his take:
On the starting quarterback battle for 2017:
Tom Herman’s first spring football camp is nearing a close and I can’t wait to see what happens with the quarterback position come the fall.
Our Brian Davis reported last week that sophomore Shane Buechele is leading the quarterback competition over freshman Sam Ehlinger which is intriguing in itself because Ehlinger comes in with so much upside.
Still, there’s something to be said about going through the rigors of a season and the lessons that are learned, especially during the tough times, though I suspect Ehlinger will make a strong run at the job this summer.
Buechele certainly had his moments in 2016, and while his struggles were well-documented, Texas somehow kept it under wraps that he played part of the season with a thumb injury on his throwing hand.
Other areas to watch for 2017:
- Linebacker Malik Jefferson was the poster boy for the sophomore jinx. I expect him to bounce back with more intensity.
- Wide receiver is the deepest unit on the roster. Keep an eye on Lil’Jordan Humphrey. He ran past me at practice last week and he’s every bit of his listed 6-5, 220 pounds. There’s nothing “Lil” about that dude.
- Brandon Jones didn’t see a lot of the field as a freshman despite being listed as the top safety among 2016’s national recruits. DeShon Elliott told us last week that Jones is one of the scariest athletes he’s been around and expects him to be a big contributor this fall.
- Linebacker Naashon Hughes has gotten raves from the head coach this spring for his production and his leadership. Hughes has All-America potential but didn’t blow up the screen as often as one would expect from someone of his tremendous athleticism.
- Team intensity. You will to see more hitting in this scrimmage than we’re used to seeing. Herman has preached physical play from day one. I expect to see some furniture moving at DKR.
For the rest of Cedric’s Nuggets, including his thoughts on The Masters and who the MVP of the NBA should be, click here.
News on Bevo Beat is free and unlimited. Access to the rest of Hookem.com is included with an Austin American-Statesman subscription in addition to Statesman.com and the ePaper edition. Subscribe today at statesman.com/subscribe.