On Monday, Texas recognized athletic achievements from the past year at its annual awards show for the women in its athletic department.
At “Longhorn Honors: Women’s Athletics,” sprinter Chrisann Gordon and golfer Sophia Schubert split the Longhorn Athlete of the Year award. Gordon and Schubert beat out a field of nominees that included basketball players Ariel Atkins and Brooke McCarty, soccer player Cyera Hintzen, rower Gia Doonan and diver Murphy Bromberg.
This past spring, Gordon capped her UT career with a gold medal in the 400-meter dash at the 2017 NCAA outdoor meet. Schubert set a school record when she averaged 72.49 strokes per round during her junior year. In August, she then became the third Longhorn to win the U.S. Women’s Amateur.
Texas named its rowing team as its Team of the Year. Below is a list of Monday’s award winners. Honorees were recognized for work done during the spring and fall of 2017 and this past winter:
- Team of the Year: Rowing
- Outstanding Rookie Performance: Track and field athlete Rushelle Burton and swimmer Evie Pfeifer
- Edith and Darrell K Royal Coca-Cola Solid Citizen Award: Track and field athlete Ariel Jones
- Jill A. Sterkel Leadership Award: Soccer player Cyera Hintzen
- Jamie Carey Comeback Award: Soccer player Mikayla Flores
- Texas Tough Award: Diver Murphy Bromberg
- Longhorn Athlete of the Year: Track and field athlete Chrisann Gordon and golfer Sophia Schubert
News on Bevo Beat is free and unlimited. Access to the rest of Hookem.com is included with an Austin American-Statesman subscription in addition to Statesman.com and the ePaper edition. Subscribe today at statesman.com/subscribe.